Friday, September 21, 2007

Fall apparently makes me craft-y

Michael's craft store is having a big sale this week. I bought several little ovensafe stoneware type loaf pans for a buck apiece, and they are now in various spots in the house holding collections of little things that get up and wander off. I got some wooden cutouts for Alyria to color, and did save out one pumpkin for myself. I also got a couple of inexpensive terra-cotta jack-o-lanterns, and a 6 pack of flickering LED tealights. I put one of those in the smaller pumpkin, but I did get a small pillar candle on sale for a buck for the bigger, $2 pumpkin. For a person that can't wear autumn colors, I do love to add them to the decor! I passed on the half-price craft pumpkins and a carving tool for them, though it was mighty tempting. I may go back to get a couple and the tool, since we tend to have rotten luck with actual field pumpkins. Hmm...that idea has merit. Need to run it past the family unit.

I also need to get a ball of Bernat Soft Boucle yarn to swatch with. I think I've settled on it for a hoodie for me and for Alyria, but before I commit to bunches of yarn, I really need to try it out to see how it works up and how it feels. The yarn in a ball feels great, and I think it will be fine, but this garment will be more challenging than what I've made before. Then there's the hoodie dress I have my eye on in Crochet! magazine. I have a yarn that might work, and I have enough of it, I think. That's a big project, though -- and will probably require purchase of a slip. It's on the list, just not at the top! The jacket on the cover is pretty nice, too.

I picked up a copy of Positively Crochet!and I love it! Lots of patterns to choose from, a wide variety of sizes, and projects that even appeal to the Gothling, with appropriate color changes, of course. Most pattern books contain between 10 and 25 patterns; this one has a full 50 to choose from, as well as words of encouragement on every page. I highly recommend it to any crocheter.

2 comments:

Mary Jane Hall said...

Hi Margaret,
Thanks so much for giving me this good review on your blog! I appreciate it so much :)
Mary Jane
author of Positively Crochet!

Alia said...

Hi Mary Jane, thanks for stopping by! I haven't got much crochet up here yet, but I hope to fix that soon. And I fixed my review; I meant to say 10 to 25 patterns in an average book. I'm heading to Amazon right now for you.